The Costume Portal: Our Previous Work
NOTICE: Due to circumstances beyond our control we have had to temporarily cease production of all custom made garments, this only affects The Costume Portal and Katerina products. If you have purchased between Jan - Nov 2018 your order will still be completed. We anticipate production will begin again during 2019, we will keep you all informed of progress.
We have had to re-compile our project gallery from scratch.. no worries, it's nearly all back again (a few items were lost with a failed HD, but we still have the projects themselves so photos will be posted as soon as possible!). If you have any questions about styles we make or construction methods, don't hesitate to ask us!
We've just made the Elena Ruched Front Hoodie for a customer in USA!
Daenerys Wedding Gown from Game of Thrones S1. Unwanted gift, kept it as it fit me so well.
Alice In Wonderland Disney Park Dress, I lost the pictures.
Boleyn Inspired Court Gown (half made)
Off-shoulder tartan evening gown (family project, ran out of fabric so needs design adjustment)
Armani inspired lilac satin shift dress, needs adjusting to fit me, but I'll post pics.
Gyspy skirt and top created from an indian dress I bought second hand, the top unfortunately got lost in the rubbish somehow, I'll post pictures of the skirt.
Blue suit jacket from TopShop, lining was removed (it was bright pink!), and appliques were added, which created an Edwardian vibe (and covered stain damage)
Turned several 90s tube skirts into shift dresses, including a gorgeous gold brocade velvet dress I accidentally threw out, and a black burnout floral one I still wear.
I've adjusted ladies pants, to make leggings, and taken a skirt wrap off a pair of pants for a more modern, sleeker style. I've also replaced the broken zip in a pair of ladies pants by taking half the gusset apart and putting it back together.
I'll have a dig through storage, I've got loads of clothes I wear so often I forgot I'd either sewn them from scratch or adjusted them!
A few recent projects, more adjustments than dresses made from scratch. I took the sleeves off this old 80s bag, and pulled the waist in. It now looks like a 40s style piece. I love this dress, it's incredibly warm, even with a knee length skirt. Nice pair of boots..
The hem of this lilac dress shrunk in the washing machine, making the lining stick out the bottom. I turned the lining up, and I still wear it.
I had a pile of bustiers lying around, and decided to decorate them. Gold thread on black braid stands out on this one.
This iconic dress was, obviously, Alice's outfit from Resident Evil, worn by her clones, worn with navy satin shorts. Red silk, and incredibly easy to construct. The design was based on a camisole. (Alice herself wore a mini skirt instead of shorts).
One of my proudest projects is Arwen's Requiem Gown from The Lord of The Rings, Fellowship of the Ring, when she visits Elrond to demand his vision of her future. I actually ran out of sleeve fabric, I didn't buy enough in time to wear it for an event. I made a few rookie mistakes with the embroidery, mistakenly using braid and trying to bend it into the curve of the neckline! (I still cringe as it was too bulky and is STILL waiting to be fixed). The real dress was constructed first, then organza ADDED with embroidery on LAST. This is MUCH more difficult for a novice, which is why I took time out to learn how to do it first before re-attempting! When I finally complete it, I'll post the images.
Silver satin wrap was an adjustment to a top I bought that I didn't like the style of. The skirt was my design and made from scratch. I'll get more images of this, it's full circle, with a cute green petticoat and matching waistband. Crinkle floral overskirt, so comfy to wear in the summer.
I love the sheer dress. Chiffon, with a lining layer of crepe de chine, or near enough. I added a bunch of chiffon to the neckline to decorate it.
Simple satin cami with broderie anglais bust panel. I should have put a white hook eye strip on the back but I didn't have one, and I was in a rush for a formal do.
Bustiers, bustiers, bustiers. I went nuts. They take hardly any fabric, and are massive fun to wear. These were fairly easy to make, obviously there would be more work if I'd have done the gromits for lacing.
I learned how to construct a bodice with steel, plastic and spiral boning, how to add D-Rings and how to add a hook and eye in the back. I still wish these were laced up as they don't fit properly. The simple dress was purchased by a customer for their wedding. (It's the same style as the sheer one above but I lost the image)
Back when I first started learning to sew with the intention to sell them, I made this vintage style summer dress with a crossover back. It was the first dress I ever made, as I'd been making tote bags in my youth.
And just for a laugh, here's a design idea I had that didn't turn out so well in my early days:
This one was supposed to be a roman style red satin organza party dress with a gorgeous gold organza braid, the bodice was OK, but the skirt was supposed to fluff out more, instead it looks like a child's drawing of a dress. I was aiming for a tulle underskirt, which is under there believe it or not - the tulle is fuller than the actual skirt! I want to re-do this properly.